Sunday 6 September 2009

Duotone Moonbeam (Squarepusher - Just A Souvenir)


(thomas pugh photograph, all rights reserved)


Still playing Just A Souvenir by Squarepusher to death. It really is a fucking insane album. Each track needs to be played and played and dissected and left for a bit, and then plunged back into - understanding a bit more. Getting a bit more out of it than just crazy jazz noise.

Its like playing someone something from Zappa's Grand Wazoo, and wondering why they have this strange disapproving look on their face when you are sitting there casually, enjoying the music. To a degree, its music that needs to be familiarised with before you can really enjoy it, because to the new listener, its just insane.

First time I played through Just A Souvenir I was sitting in the uni library killing time, and suddenly when the first track started playing I had this stupid grin on my face - it took me back to being 13 and discovering some outrageous Zappa jazz composition, like Theme From Lumpy Gravy or something... and being so euphoric and also having the feeling that there's a lot more to it, and a lot more to come.

And thats been the story of this album for me, the more and more I listen to it, the more I get out of it - and that for me is what makes a brilliant record, and what makes a brilliant record timeless.

Now to start tracking down and listening to the rest of Squarepushers discog, and hopefully find some of it on vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment